Clean and UltraFlat Gold Surfaces Every Time
Template-Stripped Gold Chips provide an ultra-flat pristine gold surface for research applications including AFM and SEM, biosensor development, and studies of self-assembled monolayers. The chips are fabricated by coating the flattest available prime grade silicon wafers or freshly-split mica, with no adhesion layer. Then, 1cmx1cm square glass chips are epoxy-glued to the surface. The gold surface you use is the one in contact with the silicon or mica substrate, so it is ultra-flat and protected from the atmosphere until you are ready to use it.
[Check out our flyer Here]
Unlike epitaxially-grown or flame-annealed atomically flat Au(111) terraces that are smooth over very small areas (< 2 µm2), Platypus Ultra-Flat Gold Chips have a uniform film of gold (Au(111)) that covers the entire surface area of the chip.
Features & Benefits:
- RMS roughness approaching atomic flatness.
- Uncontaminated Surface – Gold is protected from the atmosphere until stripped from the template, providing a pristine surface free from organics and other atmospheric contaminants.
- Ready to Use – Chips do not require cleaning, eliminating the need for hazardous cleaning solutions or expensive cleaning equipment.
- Convenient – Multiple chips per template make it easy to prepare fresh, clean, and ultraflat chips just seconds before your next experiment.
Comparison with Standard Gold
Ultra-flat gold surfaces enable high-resolution characterization of single molecules and self-assembled monolayers (SAM) via atomic force microscopy (AFM) or scanning tunneling microscopy (STM). Ultra-flat gold surfaces are ideal for applications in self-assembly, single-molecule imaging, nano-contact printing, DNA origami, or nano-photonics.
Examples of Studies that used Ultra-flat gold:
- M. Sajfutdinow et al. Nanoscale 9, 15098-15106, 2017. LINK
- G. Akselrod et al. Nature Photonics 8, 835-840, 2014. LINK
- T. Lee et al. ACS Nano 9(7), 6675-6682, 2015. LINK
- X. Jia et al. Optics Express 26(3), 3004, 2018. LINK
All chips are aluminosilicate glass, 1 cm x 1 cm:
|Product Number||Substrate||Gold Thickness||Chips||Price|
|AU.1000.SWTSGORDER NOW||Silicon Wafer||100 nm||20||$895|
|AU.2000.MTSGORDER NOW||Mica||200 nm||5||$985|
Don’t see what you need? Contact us for custom coating projects on 866.296.4455 or .
View Platypus’ Terms and Conditions